Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 6 chicken thighs
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, enough to give 1 tsp leaves
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 125ml/4½fl oz hot water
- Rice and beans, plain steamed rice or pasta to serve
Arrange the chicken pieces in a single layer in a dish, pour over the lime juice, sprinkle over the spring onions, garlic, soy sauce, chopped onion, thyme leaves and diced tomatoes, season well and mix together thoroughly. Cover and leave in the fridge to marinate for at least 2 hours, overnight if possible.
Remove the chicken from the dish, reserving the marinade, and pat dry with kitchen paper. Heat the oil in a deep frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the chicken pieces and cook, turning frequently, until golden. Spoon over the reserved marinade, stir in the ketchup and add enough hot water to just cover the chicken. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is tender.
Serve heaped into warm bowls with rice and beans, plain steamed rice or pasta.