Beef and mushroom casserole with garlic bread crust
Chestnut mushrooms are ideal in this dish as they are meaty and retain their texture during cooking
14 JANUARY 2010
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 tsp plain flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 700g/1½lb lean braising steak, trimmed and cut into 1cm/½in thick pieces
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 250ml/9fl oz red wine
- 250ml/9fl oz beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 150g/5oz green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 150g/5oz chestnut mushrooms, wiped, stalks discarded and sliced thickly
- 1 loaf chilled garlic bread, sliced
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4. Place the flour on a plate and season well. Toss the steak pieces in the seasoned flour until well coated. Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole, add the onion and garlic and gently fry for 5 minutes until just softened. Add the seasoned flour and steak and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until the meat is browned and sealed all over.
Pour in the wine and stock and add the bay leaf. Bring to the boil, cover and remove from the heat. Transfer the casserole to the oven and cook for 1½ hours. Increase the oven temperature to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6 and stir the green beans and mushrooms into the casserole. Remove the bay leaf.
Arrange the garlic bread slices in a single layer on top, butter side up, and return to the oven to cook for a further 20 minutes without the lid until the beef is tender and the bread is crisp and lightly golden. Serve immediately spooned into warm bowls.
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic