Caramel rice pudding
24 NOVEMBER 2010
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 55g sugar
- 30g arborio rice
- 420ml whole milk
- 205ml evaporated milk (not condensed)
- pinch of sea salt
- prunes soaked in a mixture of earl grey and orange juice overnight
- orange zest
- salted butter caramel (optional)
Heat the sugar in a pan over a medium heat in an even layer and cook until you have a dark-ish caramel. Add the rest of the ingredients. The sugar will probably seize and go solid. If you continue to heat and stir it will become liquid again. Continue cooking and stirring for 20 or 30 minutes until the rice is done.
Spoon the rice pudding into serving bowls, top with a couple of diced prunes and some finely grated orange zest (do this with a microplane). Drizzle over some salted butter caramel - recipe below.
Salted Butter Caramel
- 210g sugar
- 85g butter
- 120ml double cream
Caramelise the sugar as dark as you dare. Add the butter, swirling it around the pan until it melts completely. Add the cream and remove from the heat, stirring until it is combined. It will set but warm it through gently to turn it to liquid again. Makes a very, very good topping for toast, for warming banana slices in or drizzle over ice cream.
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic