Last-minute summer fruit trifle
To speed up the thawing process, pop the tray bake on a microwave-proof plate and thaw on defrost for 3-5 minutes
16 FEBRUARY 2011
Ingredients (Serves 2)
For the cake:
For the trifle:
- Makes 12 squares
- 175g/6oz butter, softened
- 175g/6oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 2 squares Lemon Tray Bake loosely covered on a wire rack to thaw at room temp for 1-2 hours
- 2 tbsp limoncello liqueur
- 175g/6oz frozen summer fruit, just defrosted
- 1 x 150g tub custard
- 125ml/4½fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
- Crystallised rose petals, to decorate
For the cake, preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4 and grease and line an 18cm x 28cm/ 7in x 11in baking tin with greaseproof paper.
Put all of the ingredients into the bowl of an electric mixer, or use a hand-held electric mixer and a large mixing bowl. Start beating on the lowest speed to incorporate all the ingredients then gradually increase the speed until you have a smooth, pale and creamy cake batter.
Spoon into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until well risen and cooked. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the tin.
Cut the cake in 2. Trim the edges of one half and cut into 6 squares. Dust 4 of the squares with icing sugar and serve as a teatime treat or leave plain and add to school lunch boxes.
Open-freeze the remaining half and 2 squares of the cake on wire racks in the freezer. When firm, wrap in clingfilm and store in the freezer – they can be kept for up to 1 month
For the trifle: Crumble the cake squares into the bottom of 2 glass tumblers. Add 1 tbsp of liqueur to each then spoon the summer fruits over, dividing them equally between the 2 tumblers.
Spoon over the custard then the cream. Chill in the fridge then, just before serving, decorate with crystallised rose petals.
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic