Pumpkin soup with dark rye croutons
Deliciously smooth and creamy, this moreish soup freezes well, too
10 MARCH 2011
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1kg/2¼lb pumpkin or squash, peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh sage
- 700ml/1¼pt vegetable stock
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 142ml pot double cream
- 1 handful dried pumpkin seeds
- 1 packet Ryvita Dark Rye Crispbreads
Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and cook over a gentle heat for about 5 minutes, until soft. Add the pumpkin or squash along with the sage and cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until it starts to soften and turn golden.
Stir in the vegetable stock, season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper then bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, until the pumpkin or squash is very soft. Pour in the cream, bring back to the boil then purée with a hand-held blender.
In a separate, dry frying pan toast the pumpkin seeds until they are golden. Meanwhile, break half of the crispbreads into croutons.
Ladle the soup into 6 warm bowls, top each with a handful of croutons and a sprinkling of toasted pumpkin seeds. Serve straight away with a couple of Ryvita on the side.
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic