Apple and muesli crumble cake
Try pears instead of apples in this moist number with crumbly topping
23 MARCH 2011
Ingredients (Serves 8)
For the muesli topping
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter, plus a knob for greasing
- 150g/5oz golden caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp
- 3 eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 225g/8oz plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 150g/5oz crème fraîche or mascarpone cheese
- 150g/5oz blackberries or raspberries
- 25g/1oz unsalted butter
- 175g/6oz Jordans Super Berry Muesli
Lightly grease and line a 20cm/8in round cake tin then grease the paper to prevent the cake sticking.
To make the topping, melt the butter in a pan over a low heat. Stir in the muesli and set aside.
For the cake, melt 25g/1oz of the butter in a pan. Add 1 tbsp of sugar and the apple, and cook for 10 minutes, until the apples are soft and golden, then set aside.
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
In a bowl, beat together the remaining butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Sieve together the flour and baking powder then fold into the egg mix using a metal spoon. Stir in the crème fraiche or mascarpone until smooth.
Spoon about two-thirds of the cake mixture into the prepared tin, level, then scatter over one-third of the muesli mixture and a quarter of the berries. Top with the remaining cake mixture and level again. Scatter on another third of the muesli mixture and arrange the apple wedges and remaining blackberries on top. Finally, top with the last of the muesli mixture.
Bake in the preheated oven for 1½ hours, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. If the cake looks like it’s browning too quickly, cover loosely with a piece of greaseproof paper. Leave the cake to cool in the tin before turning out.
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic