Coconut lamb and red pepper curry
12 OCTOBER 2011
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 curry leaves (optional)
- 1-2cm/½-¾in piece root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium green chilli, deseeded and sliced (optional)
- 2 tbsp Patak’s Madras Paste
- 600g/1¼lb lamb, preferably leg, cut into 2.5cm/1in cubes
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Juice of ½ lime
- Steamed basmati rice, to serve
- 2 spring onions, trimmed, to garnish
- Toasted coconut shreds, to garnish
1. Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds and curry leaves, if using.
2. When the mustard seeds start popping, add the ginger and chilli, if using. Stir in the curry paste, add a little water and cook until the paste and spices are fragrant and the water has evaporated.
3. Add the lamb and cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly, to seal the meat. Pour in the coconut milk and stir well, making sure you release any lamb that has stuck to the bottom of the pan. If you prefer to have more sauce with your curry, add 100-150ml/4-5fl oz of water. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes.
4. Add the red pepper and simmer for a further 5-7 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, then season to taste with salt.
5. Serve with steamed basmati rice and garnished with chopped spring onion and toasted coconut
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic