Post mortem after death of nurse Jacintha Saldanha as family thank public for support
11 DECEMBER 2012
A post mortem examination is due to be carried out to determine the cause of death of Jacintha Saldanha, one of the nurses duped by a hoax call to the hospital where Kate Middleton
was being treated for severe morning sickness.
A 46-year-old mother of two, Jacintha died in what appeared to be a suicide
. She was found on Friday, 48 hours after radio station 2Day FM broadcast a prank during which Australian DJs Mel Greig and Michael Christian
posed as Prince Charles
and the Queen
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
put the call through to the ward at King Edward VII hospital
where Kate was being looked after, and another nurse, thinking she was really talking to the monarch and the Prince of Wales, gave out personal medical information concerning the Duchess.
The hospital has set up a private memorial fund to help support the late nurse's family, who made a private visit to the facility on Monday then went on to meet with MP Keith Vaz.at Parliament.
The politician said Jacintha's husband Benedict Barboza and her two teenage children had been left "devastated" by the loss of "a loving mother and a loving wife". He added: "They just want me to say that they are extremely grateful to the public here in the United Kingdom and throughout the world who have sent them messages of condolences and support following the death of Jacintha.
"This is a close family. They are devastated by what has happened. They miss her every moment of every day but they are really grateful to the support of the British public and to the public overseas for the messages of support and kindness."
Jacintha's family were based in Bristol. She would travel back home to visit them on her days off and stay in nurses accommodation, close to King Edward VII hospital, while she was on duty.
A memorial will be held for the hospital worker later in the week, and an inquest into her death is also due to open in the next few days.
The two DJs who staged the prank said, during an emotional interview shown on Australian TV
on Monday, that they were "gutted and heartbroken" over the tragedy. The company which owns the station, Southern Cross Austereo, has cancelled their Christmas party, saying it would be "inappropriate" under the circumstances.
The Duchess of Cambridge
is currently resting at Kensington Palace as she recovers from hyperemesis gravidarum
. The pregnanct royal has pulled out of attending the royal unveiling of The Hobbit
- Prince William
will attend solo. A spokesman for St James's Palace said: "Kate will not attend The Hobbit
premiere tomorrow evening and will continue to rest privately."
- Please note, all comments are those of readers and do not represent the opinion of Hellomagazine.com
- Hellomagazine.com reserves the right to remove comments it considers offensive or not relevant
- Please focus on the topic