There has been no emergency at Buckingham Palace despite reports, which surfaced overnight, suggesting the Queen was calling a "highly unusual" emergency meeting with her entire household in London. Reports emerged in the early hours of Thursday claiming that everyone in the household was on ‘tenterhooks’ following the call to action from the Queen’s most senior aides, with speculation rife on Twitter that an announcement regarding the monarch or her husband, the Duke of Edinburgh, was expected first thing. But palace aides have told HELLO! that there is no emergency, and the meeting this morning is nothing out of the ordinary.
Queen Elizabeth's amazing royal
Prince Philip, 95, is standing down from official duty, it has been announced. Buckingham Palace released a statement on Thursday, saying: "His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from the autumn of this year. In taking this decision, The Duke has the full support of the Queen. Prince Philip will attend previously scheduled engagements between now and August, both individually and accompanying The Queen. Thereafter, The Duke will not be accepting new invitations for visits and engagements, although he may still choose to attend certain public events from time
After nearly 70 years of public service, no one could begrudge the statement from Buckingham Palace that Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, who will turn 96 on 10 June, is to retire from public life. The Palace said that the Duke’s decision to stop carrying out royal engagements from the autumn of this year has the “full support” of the Queen. Previously scheduled engagements between now and August will still go ahead, and Prince Philip may still choose to attend certain public events from time to time. Loading the player... var track = function
Theresa May has released a statement following the news that Prince Philip will be standing down from his royal duties from autumn this year. Thanking the royal for his many years of service, she said: "On behalf of the whole country, I want to offer our deepest gratitude and good wishes to His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh following today's announcement that he will stand down from public duties in the Autumn." READ: Prince Philip: a look back on his many years of service She added: "From his steadfast support for Her Majesty the Queen to his inspirational Duke of Edinburgh
A couple of hours after Buckingham Palace announced Prince Philip's retirement, the Duke of Edinburgh attended an engagement with his wife the Queen. The 95-year-old Prince was pictured being driven from Buckingham Palace to St James's Palace, and gave a cheery wave from his car. The couple attended a service for members of the Order of Merit at the Chapel Royal, after which they hosted a luncheon for those at the service. After guests told Philip they were sorry to see him stand down, he quipped: "I can't stand up for much longer." A look back on Prince Philip's many
See the photo William and Kate have chosen to send royal fans after celebrating sixth wedding anniversary
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have sent individual thank you notes to well-wishers after celebrating their sixth wedding anniversary on Saturday. The front of the card featured a picture of the couple from their trip to the Tiger's Nest monastery during their royal tour of Bhutan last year. The note read: "The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are most grateful to you for the message you so kindly took the trouble to send on the occasion of their 6th Wedding Anniversary. It was most thoughtful of you and Their Royal Highnesses send you their warmest thanks and best