The finger of suspicion had been pointed at nearly everyone. But finally on Monday residents of Broadchurch – along with eight million desperate viewers – were finally put out of their misery. By now everyone across the nation will probably know that Danny Latimer's killer was revealed as Joe Miller, the husband of detective Ellie Miller.
In living rooms across Britain people watched in shock as her colleague DI Hardy, played by David Tennant, tracked down the GPS signal of the schoolboy's phone to solve the mystery.
CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE
Avid followers of life in the not-so-picture-perfect Dorset town will be pleased to learn that a second series is planned.
Not since the shooting of JR Ewing in Dallas has a whodunnit so gripped the imagination. To ensure secrecy before the final episode this week only a handful of people knew the identity of the murderer. Nor did ITV allow any of the actors to be interviewed ahead of the denouement.
Creator and writer Chris Chibnall said not even the actor responsible knew he was the killer until just before the end so the cast started a sweepstake themselves.
He also said the team had been "delighted and properly gobsmacked" by the response to the crime series. Chris added that before the first series had even been aired he'd been talking to ITV bosses about a follow up.
"I mentioned that if people liked it, there was another very different story we could tell afterwards," he said. "I'm really thrilled we're going to tell that story too."
It's not known which of the characters will be back but there will surely be a place for Olivia Colman who played Ellie. Critics have suggested that she should consider writing her BAFTA acceptance speech already for her portrayal of a shattered wife.
David also gave a typically strong performance after casting off his mantle as Doctor Who to appear in the drama.
- Richard Madeley :''Basically everyone's a suspect, but as I say, the 'tec's husband is clear favourite to swing 4 it.I'm sticking with t Parson!See yous after!''
- Lucy Jo Hudson : ''Btw, how excited are we about broadchurch tonight? 8 weeks of suspense! Still don't know who did it, but can't wait to find out #closure x''
- Diana Vickers : "#Broadchurch tonight!Can't wait! The lady coppers kid and husband have got something to do with it big time I think. What are your thoughts?"
- Ant & Dec : ''Loving #Broadchurch #ITV''
- Alan Carr : ''I would love to be in Broadchurch 2 - maybe i could be Will Mellors spirit guide like Derek Acorah's Sam?''
- Little Mix : ''#Broadchurch is the best TV drama I've ever seen xxjadexx''
- Sam Faiers : ''On sofa with @fernemccann & @xStaceyMilburnx waiting for #broadchurch to come on !! X x''