Harrods mince pies have been named the best on the high street, according to a blind taste test by the consumer group Which?. The luxury department stores' classic mince pies with brandy won top spot with a score of 72% out of 14 classic mince pies from leading chains that were tried and tested. At £8.95 for six, they are also among the priciest.
Coming in second place were the much more wallet-friendly snowy lodge luxury mince pies by German budget supermarket Lidl, which scored 67% and were commended for their "beautifully crisp" pastry. A box of Lidl's winning mince pies will set you back just £1.15.
The annual Which? festive taste tests put Waitrose shortcrust mince pies in joint second place. The sweet parcels of pastry, which come with the modest price tag of £1.70 for six, were hailed for their handmade appearance and generous helping of mincemeat.
Judges – a team of bakery experts that rated each product in a number of categories and combined their marks to give an overall percentage – put Fortnum & Mason's mince pies 11th out of 14 in the taste test.
Offering the most expensive of all those tested at £13.95 a box, the results show that the priciest option isn't always the best when it comes to taste.
Asda followed Waitrose in fourth place, while Sainsbury's came in fifth. Marks & Spencer, meanwhile, hit tenth place on the list.
After one of Christmas' must-haves comes another – bubbly. The Co-operative's award-winning Les Pionniers NV Champagne – at £16.99 – was judged the best of 15 brands of fizz blind-tasted by judges in the annual taste test.
Experts named Waitrose Blanc de Blancs Brut NV (at £24.99) second-best. The Lanson Black Label Brut Champagne, which costs £30, was in third. The most expensive champagne tested, Laurent-Perrier Brut Champagne, which is £38 a bottle, was fourth.
Mince pies in order of taste, according to Which?
1. Harrods Classic Mince Pies With Brandy £8.95
2. Lidl Snowy Lodge Luxury Mince Pies £1.49
3. Waitrose Christmas Shortcrust Mince Pies £1.70
4. Asda Extra Special Luxury Mince Pies £1.89
5. Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference All Butter Mince Pies £2.50
6. Spar 6 Luxury Mince Pies £2
7. Iceland Luxury 6 Mince Pies £1.49
8. Morrisons M Signature All Butter Deep Fill Mince Pies £1.74
9. The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Mince Pies £2
10. M&S Christmas Star Mince Pies £2.50
11. Fortnum & Mason Six Traditional Mince Pies £13.95
12. Greggs Sweet Mince Pies £1.50
13. Aldi Specially Selected Mince Pies £1.15
14. Tesco finest* Mince Pies £2