- 175g/6oz butter, softened
- 175g/6oz light soft brown sugar
- 3 Large Lion Quality eggs, beaten
- 175g/6oz self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 x 200g tub mixed chopped peel
- 100g/4oz ground almonds
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 3 tbsp orange marmalade, sieved
- 675g/11⁄2lb marzipan (ready-rolled or block)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- 50g/2oz white chocolate, melted
- 50g/2oz plain chocolate, melted
- 5cm/2in wide ribbon to tie around
Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5. Grease and line a 20cm/8in round, deep cake tin.
Beat the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder until smooth and glossy. Fold in theremaining ingredients and spoon into the tin.
Smooth the top, then bake for 45-50 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
Once cool, slice the cake in half. Roll out two-thirds of the marzipan and cut out two 20cm/8in rounds. Brush the centre and top of the cake with marmalade. Use one marzipan round to sandwich the two halves together and place the second round on top of the cake and smooth the edges. Make 11 balls from the remaining marzipan then use marmalade to fix them to the top of the cake. Drizzle the melted plain and white chocolate over the cake. Leave to set, tie the ribbon round the cake and serve.