Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 sticks celery, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 large waxy potatoes (about 400g/14oz) peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- Few sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 900ml/1 pt fish or chicken stock
- 150g/5oz green beans, trimmed and cut into short lengths
- 2 courgettes, trimmed and roughly chopped
- Few dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 600g/1lb 5 oz cod fillets, skinned and pin-boned
- Bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan, add the onions, celery and some seasoning and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes to soften. Add the carrots, potatoes, yellow pepper and herbs, and sauté for 5 minutes until the vegetables are lightly golden.
Add the tomatoes and the stock. Cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Tip in the beans and courgettes, stir and simmer for 3 minutes. Check the seasoning, adding a few dashes of Tabasco if you like.
Lightly season the cod fillets and lay them on the vegetables. Cover the pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fish is opaque and just cooked through. Using a spoon, gently break the cod into large flakes. Ladle the soup into warm bowls and scatter a handful of parsley over each serving.