- 25g/1oz lard
- 8 lamb chump chops, trimmed
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 glass dry-white wine
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 300ml/1/2pt lamb stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 x 410g can chopped tomatoes
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1 x 410g can red kidney beans, drained and well rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tabasco sauce to taste
- 6 tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Steamed green beans to serve
Preheat the oven to 150°C, 275°F, Gas 1.
Heat the lard in a large ovenproof casserole on the hob until melted. Add the chump chops and brown all over to seal. Remove and set aside. Add the onion, chilli and garlic to the pan and sweat gently but do not allow to colour. Stir in the white wine, vinegar, stock, cinnamon stick, tomatoes and oregano then bring to the boil. Return the chops to the casserole then transfer to the oven for 1 hour.
Stir in the kidney beans and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and carefully lift out the chops and set aside, keeping warm.
Place the casserole on the hob and reduce the sauce over a medium heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Season to taste and add a splash of Tabasco. Stir in half of the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil.
Mix the rest of the tomatoes with the chives and olive oil, season and set aside.
Pour the sauce over the lamb chops, sprinkle with the tomato and chive mix and serve with green beans.