- 450g/1lb fresh scallops removed from the shell
- 11⁄2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 11⁄2 tbsp coarsely chopped spring onions
- 1 tbsp garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp peeled and finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 225g/8oz red peppers (about 2 peppers), deseeded and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 100g/4oz green pepper (about 1 pepper), deseeded and cut into 2.5cm/1in chunks
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp yellow bean sauce
- 2 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
Gently pat the scallops dry with kitchen paper and set aside. Heat a wok or large, non-stick frying pan until hot, add the groundnut oil, onions, garlic and ginger, then stir-fry for 10 seconds.
Add the peppers and stir-fry for 2 minutes, then stir in the scallops, soy and yellow bean sauce, rice wine or dry sherry, sugar and sesame oil and cook for another 4 minutes. Serve at once, heaped into warm plates or bowls.