Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 100g/4oz mozzarella, one half cut into 12 or 24 cubes, the other half grated
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 x 400g jar passatta
- Nando’s Medium or Hot Peri-Peri Sauce
For the meatballs
- 500g/1lb 2oz lean minced beef
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, torn
- 1 tsp dried basil
Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas 4.
Mix together the meatball ingredients in a bowl using your hands, then divide and shape into 12 medium-sized or 24 mini balls, stuffing a cube of mozzarella into each.
Heat the oil in a pan. Add the meatballs in batches and cook, turning, to colour on all sides.
Transfer to an ovenproof dish large enough to fit all the meatballs in a single layer. Pour over the passatta and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle over the grated mozzarella and return briefly to the oven to melt. Serve heaped into bowls of hot cooked spaghetti with a splash or two of Peri-Peri sauce.