Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 700g/11/2lb floury potatoes, peeled and cut in even chunks
- 8 very best sausages
- 150ml/1/4pt milk, heated
- 75g/3oz butter
- Sprigs of fresh flat-leaf parsley to serve
For the onion gravy
- 3 onions, peeled and sliced in rings
- 25g/1oz plain flour
- 300ml/1/2pt beef stock
- 150ml/1/4pt red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 generous shakes of Tabasco
Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water until tender.
Meanwhile, grill the sausages until browned and thoroughly cooked.
Add the milk and 50g/2oz of the butter to the potatoes and mash until smooth and creamy.
For the gravy, heat the remaining butter in a pan, add the onion and cook slowly over a medium heat until golden.
Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring, then pour in the stock and wine and simmer until thickened. Season and shake over the Tabasco.
Dollop the mash onto 4 warm plates, perch the sausages on top and pour over the gravy. Garnish with flat-leaf parsley.