Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 25g/1oz butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 800g/11⁄2lb kohlrabi, peeled and cut into 2cm/3⁄4in dice
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 6 cardamom pods, crushed to obtain seeds
- 5cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400ml/14fl oz water
- 200ml/7fl oz coconut milk
- Handful fresh coriander leaves
Cook the onion in the butter and oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat for 10 minutes until translucent. Add the kohlrabi and cook, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
Stir in the mustard, cumin and fennel seeds and cook for 2 minutes, taking care not to brown the seeds or they will become bitter.
Add the ground spices, cardamom seeds, ginger, garlic and chillies and cook for 30 seconds. Season, add the tomatoes and water and simmer for 20 minutes, then add the coconut milk and cook for a further 20 minutes or until thekohlrabi is tender. Season again, then stir in the coriander to serve.