Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 300g/11oz rump or sirloin steak
- 25g/1oz butter
- 2 ciabatta or brioche buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 2 pickled jalapeño peppers, sliced
- A few assorted salad leaves
For the avocado purée
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-2 small dried red chillies
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flesh of 2 large Hass avocados
Start by making the avocado purée. Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan, add the shallot and sweat for 5 minutes, then add the garlic and chilli. Season well and cook for a further few minutes until the garlic is soft. Add the avocado flesh and cook for another 5 minutes, mashing up the flesh with the back of a wooden spoon. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
Season the steak on both sides. Wipe out the frying pan and return to the hob over a high heat. When it is smoking hot add the butter, then 1 minute later add the steak and cook for 2-3 minutes each side, depending on the thickness and how you like your steak. Leave to rest for 5 minutes then slice thinly.
Cut open the ciabatta or brioche buns and toast them under a hot grill or in a dry frying pan. Spread the toasted buns with the avocado purée, top with the steak, tomato, jalapeños and salad leaves and serve straight away.