- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 175g/6oz small chorizo sausage, sliced into 1cm/1⁄2in thick pieces
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 x 400g can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 plum tomatoes, quartered and deseeded
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A pinch of sugar
Heat a deep frying pan or saucepan and pour in half the olive oil. Add the chorizo and quickly fry until it has taken on some colour and released some of its oils.
Reduce the heat slightly, stir in the sliced onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Add the cannellini beans and the canned chopped tomatoes, topping up with half a can of water to loosen the mixture. Halve the tomato quarters and stir them into the stew, simmering gently for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and season. Heat the remaining olive oil in a separate frying pan, add the chicken and fry for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.
Spoon the chicken into the stew, season and stir in the sugar before serving ladled into warm bowls.