- 20 Freedom Food-labelled chicken wings
- (about 1.6kg/3½1b), cut in half through the joint, tips discarded
For the marinade
- 2 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, toasted in a dry frying pan, then ground
- 1 tbsp peeled and chopped garlic
- 3 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tbsp grated orange zest (from about 4 large oranges)
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1 chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 150ml/¼pt vegetable oil
- 50ml/2fl oz toasted sesame oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Start by making the marinade. In a food processor, blend the ground Szechuan peppercorns, garlic, ginger, orange zest, spring onions and chilli to a rough paste.
Add the honey, soy and oils and whizz to a fairly smooth consistency. Season generously with salt and black pepper and transfer to a large bowl.
Add the chicken and coat well. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 4 hours, turning occasionally. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.
Drain the chicken from the marinade and cook on the prepared barbecue grill for 7-8 minutes on each side until thoroughly cooked and lightly charred.