- 1 small butternut or onion squash, deseeded and cut roughly into 5cm/2in pieces
- 1 chile de árbol or other dried chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- A small handful of chopped fresh oregano or marjoram (or 1 tsp dried)
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 red onions, peeled and roughly sliced
- Small punnet of baby tomatoes
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, leaves only, chopped
- 3-4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large chorizo sausages, casings removed and cut on the slant into long lengths
- 150g/5oz cooked borlotti or pinto beans
- Small bag of ready-prepared baby spinach
- 100g/4oz Pecorino cheese
Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F, Gas 5.
Put the squash, chilli, cumin and oregano in a roasting dish with a light coating of oil and season. Roast in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes before adding the onion slices coated in oil. Roast for 10 more minutes then add the baby tomatoes and cook for another 10 minutes. Pound the coriander leaves and a pinch of salt into a paste in a pestle and mortar. Cover with extra virgin olive oil and set aside. Fry the chorizo for 2-3 minutes on each side then drain on kitchen paper.
Gently mix the roasted vegetables and beans in a large bowl with a tablespoon of coriander oil and the spinach leaves. Divide the salad between 4-6 serving plates, adding pieces of grilled chorizo. Shave the Pecorino over, drizzle with the reserved coriander oil and serve.