Ingredients (Serves 2)
- 250g/9oz beef sirloin, fat removed and meat cut into 1cm/½in slices
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 150g/5oz bean sprouts or soya bean sprouts
- 1 tsp cornflour mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
For the marinade
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp soft light brown sugar
Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl, then add the beef and mix well to coat. Cover the bowl with clingfilm and set aside to marinate for 20 minutes.
Place a wok over a high heat until it starts to smoke then add the groundnut oil. Remove the beef from the bowl, retaining the marinade, and add it to the wok. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the bean sprouts, reserved marinade and the cornflour paste. Toss together and cook for a further minute, stirring.
Stir in the spring onions, divide between 2 plates and serve immediately with rice.