- 1 ready-rolled puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 15g (1/2oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- 1 rounded teaspoon light or dark muscovado sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed Italian herbs
- 75g (3oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- a few sprigs fresh rosemary or thyme
Preheat the oven to 220°C / 425°F / Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet and lay the puff pastry sheet on top.
Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and add the red onions. Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, then add the sugar and cook for another few minutes until the onions are very soft and caramelised. Season with salt and pepper and add the dried herbs. Cool for a few minutes.
Spread the onions over the pastry sheet to within 2cm (3/4 inch) of the edges. Scatter the cheese on top, then add the rosemary or thyme sprigs.
Transfer to the oven and bake for 12 - 15 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. Cool for a few moments, then slice and serve.