- 300g paneer, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 green and 1 red pepper, cored and cut into 2.5cm cubes
- Vegetable oil, for greasing
- 6 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 1 hour
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- Chaat masala, to sprinkle
For the marinade
- 125ml Greek-style yoghurt
- 5g fresh ginger, peeled
- 10g garlic (approximately 3 large cloves), peeled
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ - ½ tsp chilli powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp lemon juice, or to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp gram flour
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- Seeds of 6 cardamom pods, powdered with a pestle and mortar
Purée all the marinade ingredients until smooth, then place in a non-metallic bowl. Add the paneer and vegetables and allow them to soak up the flavours for 30 – 40 minutes or longer in the fridge.
Thread the vegetables and paneer alternatively onto the skewers. Grill for 7 minutes on a hot barbecue, drizzle over the melted butter, turn and cook for another 2-4 minutes or until charred at the edges.
(Alternatively cook in an oven preheated to 200 C/ 400 F / gars mark 6 for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway). Sprinkle the skewers liberally with chaat masala and serve with bread.