Cooking time: 40 minutes
800g pumpkin or butternut squash, cut into 8 even slices
1 garlic clove, skin on and lightly crushed with the flat of a knife
5 tblsp olive oil
20g pine nuts (optional)
2 red onions, cut into eight wedges
6 sprigs of thyme
3 little gem lettuces
1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
2 slices Prosciutto di San Daniele
25g Grana Padano Cheese, shaved
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6. Cut up your pumpkin into thin slices then drizzle with olive oil and season. Add the pumpkin and garlic to a baking tray and in the oven for 20 minutes. Meanwhile dry roast the pine nuts in a frying pan.
2) Add the onion wedges to the baking tray with a further tablespoon olive oil and extra salt and pepper.
3) Tuck the thyme under the onions and pumpkin and cook for another 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft and onions lightly caramelised. Leave to cool to room temperature.
4) Separate the leaves of the lettuces and dress with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Arrange on top the pumpkin and onions whilst the discarding the garlic and thyme.
5) Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and the remaining extra olive oil. Scatter over with the Grana Padano Cheese shavings and pine nuts if using, and decorate with two slices of Prosciutto di San Daniele.