• 1.5kg ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
• 60ml plus 30ml good olive oil
• 1 tbsp salt
• 1 1/2 tsps freshly ground black pepper
• 2 chopped yellow onions
• 6 garlic cloves, minced
• 30g unsalted butter
• 1/4 tsp crushed red chilli flakes
• 800g tinned plum tomatoes, with their juice
• 600g fresh basil leaves
• 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
• 1 litre chicken stock or water
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2) Toss together the tomatoes in 60ml of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in one layer on a baking tray and roast for 45 minutes.
3) In an 9 litre stockpot over medium heat, saute the onions and garlic with 30ml of olive oil, the butter, and red chilli flakes for ten minutes, until the onions start to brown.
4) Add the canned tomatoes, basil, thyme, and chicken stock. Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking tray. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 40 minutes.
5) Sieve through a food mill fitted with the coarsest blade. Taste for seasonings.
6) Serve hot or cold.