Cooking and preparation time: 30 minutes
• 40g pack dried porcini mushrooms
• 50g/2oz butter
• 8 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• 300g/11oz risotto rice
• 1 wine glass red wine
• 850ml/1½ pt chicken or vegetable stock
• 2 tbsp oil
• 50g/2oz pancetta, chopped
• A sprig of thyme
• Parmesan shavings to finish
1. Place porcini in a bowl and just cover with hot water. Leave to rehydrate.
2. Melt butter in a pan and fry shallots and garlic over gentle heat until softened, but not brown. Add rice and turn around to coat and glisten in the buttery mix. Add wine and bubble until absorbed.
3. Add a ladleful of stick and stir, simmering. Continue adding stock by the ladle until incorporated. Drain porcini, reserving 150ml/1/4pt soaking liquor. Add soaking liquor by the ladle to the risotto until rice is tender and creamy with still a slight bite in the grains.
4. While this is happening, heat oil in a pan and fry pancetta until browned all over. Transfer to kitchen paper with a slotted spoon. Rip up remaining mushrooms and toss around in the pancetta oil to brown. Drain on kitchen paper and reserve.
5. Stir pancetta, mushrooms and thyme leaves through risotto. Heap onto serving plates and finish with Parmesan shavings.