Preparation and cooking time: 35 minutes
225g butter, softened
225g soft light brown sugar
3 eggs, separated
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
2 tsp lemon juice
180g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
75g ground almonds
125g walnuts, roughly chopped
175g carrots, peeled and grated
For the topping:
225g cream cheese
2 tsp runny honey
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Beat together the softened butter with the sugar until pale and creamy.
3. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition. Add the orange zest, and sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold in with the lemon juice, ground almonds, walnuts and carrots.
4. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until they reach a medium peak, and fold gently but thoroughly into the cake mixture. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases, leaving a slight hollow in the centre of each one.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 – 15 mins, until risen and golden. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool.
6. For the topping, beat together the cream cheese and honey until smooth, and spread over the tops of the muffins. Ensure that they are cool before doing this or the icing will melt.