Dish type: Breakfast
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
4 fresh eggs
4 slices hot buttered toast
8 rashers bacon, grilled
4 tbsp Hollandaise sauce (recipe below)
1 tbsp finely chopped chives
For the Hollandaise sauce
2 egg yolks
110g (4oz) Kerrygold butter, now softer, cut in to roughly 1cm (½ inch) dice
1 tsp lemon juice
Method – Hollandaise sauce
1. First make the hollandaise sauce. Place the egg yolks in a heavy bottomed saucepan on a low heat and whisk thoroughly.
2. Add the butter bit by bit whisking all the time. As soon as one piece melts add the next. Do not leave the pan or stop whisking.
3. Keep cooking very gently until the sauce has thickened, enough to coat the back of a spoon. If there are any signs of the eggs slightly scrambling, remove from the heat immediately. The whole process should take 5-7 minutes from start to finish.
4. Finally add the lemon juice to taste. Keep warm as you poach the eggs.
Method – Poached eggs
1. Place a saucepan of water on a high heat, add a splash of vinegar and bring to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat to a simmer, gently crack in the eggs and cook for 3–4 minutes or until the whites have just set.
3. Carefully remove the eggs from the pan with a slotted spoon.
4. To serve, place two pieces of bacon on the hot buttered toast, then place 1 egg on top. Spoon over the sauce and sprinkle with chives.