125g (4oz/scant ²/³ cup) Puy lentils
100g (3½oz) butternut squash, diced
3 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
200ml (7fl oz/generous ¾ cup) coconut milk
80g (3oz) goat’s Cheddar, grated
40g (1½oz) flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to garnish
½ red chilli, finely sliced, to garnish
Watercress, to serve
1. Place the lentils in a small pan, cover with water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10–15 minutes, until al dente. Drain and set aside.
2. Place the diced butternut squash on a baking tray (cookie sheet), drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and bake for 10 minutes, until nearly tender. Leave the oven switched on.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a pan and sauté the garlic until softened. Stir in the lentils and squash with 50ml (2fl oz/scant ¼ cup) of the coconut milk and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof baking dish or 4 individual ramekins, pour over the remaining coconut milk and bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle over the grated goat’s Cheddar and return to the oven to melt the cheese.
6. Serve with some watercress and sprinkled with chopped parsley and the sliced chilli if you like a bit of heat.