Dish type: side dish
- 1kg potatoes (eg Desirée or King Edward), scrubbed or peeled
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- Few thyme sprigs
- Few rosemary sprigs (leaves only)
- Olive oil, to drizzle
- Heat the oven to 220°C/Gas 7 and place a sturdy roasting tray inside to heat up.
- Cut the potatoes into 1cm thick chips. Part-boil in a pan of salted water for about 5–7 minutes until just tender when pierced with a skewer. Drain well and pat dry with a clean tea towel.
- Tip the potatoes on to the hot roasting tray and scatter over the garlic and herbs. Drizzle generously with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the potatoes to coat in the oil and flavourings, using a pair of tongs.
- Bake in the oven for 10–15 minutes until the chips are golden brown and crisp, turning them a few times. Drain on kitchen paper and serve immediately.