100g self-raising flour
25g caster sugar
Pinch of salt
25g unsalted butter, cubed
3 tbsp milk, plus extra to brush
Icing sugar, to dust
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F. Grease and flour a baking sheet.
2. Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix in the milk to form a soft dough.
3. Turn out onto a floured board and knead gently before patting out into a round about 1.5cm thick. Cut into rounds using a 2.5cm pastry cutter and place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Brush with milk and bake for 8 to 10 minutes until well-risen and golden brown.
5. Once cool, spread generously with jam and cream then dust with icing sugar.