2 onions, peeled and cut into 5mm dice
250g/8oz turnips, peeled and cut into 5mm dice
250g/8oz carrots, peeled and cut into 5mm dice
1 celery stalk, diced
1 leek, white part only, thinly sliced
75-125g/3-4oz Sharpham Park pearled spelt
225g/8oz diced, cooked lamb or mutton
125g/4oz dried peas, soaked in water for 4-5 hours, drained
2.3litres/4 pints lamb or mutton stock
85g/3oz cabbage, chopped (optional)
2 tbs chopped parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large saucepan, heat all of the ingredients, except the cabbage, parsley and seasoning, until boiling.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2-3 hours or until the peas and pearled spelt are soft.
3. Stir in the cabbage and parsley and cook for a further 10-12 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
4. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Serve in gently warmed soup bowls.
Thanks to Sharpham Park's Great British Spelt Recipes campaign with Bowel Cancer UK greatbritishspeltrecipes.com