Makes 12 muffins
Preparation time 1 1/4 hrs
Cooking time 20-25 minutes
• 1 large sweet potato
• 100ml/4fl oz extra virgin olive oil
• 100ml/4fl oz unsweetened almond milk
• 175ml/6fl oz maple syrup, plus 2 extra tbsp for brushing the muffins
• 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
• 500g/1lb 2oz gluten free flour (if the flour doesn’t include xanthan gum add 1 tsp)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 2 tsp baking soda
• 1 ½ tbsp Chinese five spice powder
• ½ tsp fine sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas 6 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
2. Prick the sweet potato a few times with a paring knife or a fork and bake in the oven until soft (when a paring knife can cut through with zero resistance) about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and set the sweet potato aside until it’s completely cool.
3. Peel the sweet potato, discarding the skin, and mash the flesh in a mixing bowl with a fork. Whisk the olive oil, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla into the sweet potato. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, five-spice powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Evenly distribute the mix between the paper cases.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean. During the last 5 minutes of baking, brush the tops of the muffins with the extra maple syrup. Remove from the oven and leave the muffins to cool before serving.