This is a great seasonal dish bursting with spring flavours. Ask your butcher to prepare the lamb for you according to the recipe below. Also ask him to give you the bones to make the sauce.
Rack (6 bone French trimmed)
Saddle de boned
200g lamb sweetbreads
9 baby carrots 200g peas 200g broad beans 1 bunch of Spring onions
1. Prepare and pre blanch all the vegetables in seasoned water and chill / refresh in ice water.
2. Drain the vegetables and place in a pan with some butter and vegetable stock ready to re-heat when the lamb is cooked.
3. Pan fry the lamb sweetbreads and chill them. Open up the saddle of lamb and season with salt & pepper, place the sweetbreads in the centre of the lamb and fold in the sides, secure the rolled lamb with string at 1cm intervals.
4. Fry the tied and rolled saddle in a pan until lightly golden in colour all over, then place in your oven preheated to 180C for 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and leave to rest on a cooling rack before carving.
5. While the saddle is resting, fry the cutlets in a hot pan for 2 minutes on each side and set aside with the saddle. In the same hot pan roast off the kidneys until cooked (slightly under done is best). Again this will take about 2 minutes.
1 kg of lamb bones
1 sticks celery
1 clove garlic
1tbls tom puree
½ bottle white wine
300 ml veal stock
300 ml chicken stock
1 sprig rosemary
1 bay leaf
1 sprigs thyme
1. Roast the bones in the oven till lightly golden
2. Pan fry the carrots, onion, celery and garlic in some of the lamb fat from the bones until nicely coloured
3. Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 min
4. Add the white wine and reduce to a syrup
5. Add the herbs, peppercorns, veal and chicken stock and bring up to the boil
6. Skim the sauce to remove any impurities and then simmer until the sauce is the right consistency to coat the back of a spoon
7. Pass through a chinois or fine strainer and discard the bones and vegetables
8. Keep the sauce in a small pan ready to heat up to serve
Heat up the vegetables and place in the middle of the plate. Carve the roasted saddle and place slices on the vegetables followed by a piece of rack and half a kidney. Serve with the thyme jus