Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 16 minutes
Vegetable oil for brushing the tin
6 egg whites
300g caster sugar
80g flaked almonds
400g mascarpone cream cheese
1heaped tbsp icing sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
300g Sweet Eve strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced in half lengthways
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the oven rack quite near the top. Line a standard Swiss roll baking tin or a shallow baking tray with baking parchment and brush with vegetable oil.
2. In a big, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites till they are quite stiff. Add the caster sugar slowly, whisking continuously until the meringue mixture is stiff and shiny, forming peaks.
3. Spread the meringue mixture evenly in the Swiss roll tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top, evenly. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 8 minutes then lower the oven temperature to 160°C and bake until golden brown, approximately another 8 minutes.
4. When the meringue is golden brown, remove from the oven and turn it almond-side down onto a big, clean sheet of baking parchment. Peel off the paper from the base and leave the meringue to cool completely.
5. Whisk the mascarpone cream cheese and the icing sugar together till stiff. Spread this mixture evenly over the cold meringue, followed by three-quarters of the strawberries. Roll up the roulade firmly from the long end of the meringue, using the paper to help you, then transfer to a serving platter and keep in the fridge. When ready to serve, decorate the top with the remaining strawberries and sprinkle with icing sugar.
With thanks to Sweet Eve Strawberry