125g butter, softened
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk, at room temperature
12 white chocolate buttons
200g butter, softened
400g icing sugar, sifted
3 tbsp milk, at room temperature
food colouring gels
Makes about 12
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4, and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases. Beat the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl using a wooden spoon for 5 minutes until very light and fluffy.
2. Beat in the eggs, half at a time, beating very well between each addition, then add the vanilla extract.
3. Add the flour and milk and combine with a spatula to make a smooth batter.
4. Divide the batter between the paper cases; they should be just over half full. Bake for 10–15 minutes until golden brown and springy on top.
5. Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out on to a wire rack to cool completely.
6. To make the icing, beat the butter in a large mixing bowl until really light. Add the icing sugar and beat very slowly until it has all been incorporated.
7. Add the milk and beat vigorously until smooth. Divide the icing into a number of small bowls and beat a different food colouring into each.
8. Use a palette knife to spread and swirl a thick cap of icing on to each cupcake.
9.Finish by pressing a chocolate button on to the centre of each cake. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.