Cooking Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
For the meringue:
8 Freedom Food egg whites
375g Fairtrade white caster sugar
For the lemon curd:
Grated zest and juice of 4 unwaxed Fairtrade lemons
4 Freedom Food whole eggs, lightly beaten
400ml Freedom Food double cream
8 passion fruit
2–3 tbsp Fairtrade icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C / fan 130°C /Gas 2. Draw 3 x 25cm diameter circles on sheets of baking parchment and place them on baking sheets.
2. For the meringue, whisk the egg whites in a grease-free bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add 200g caster sugar and continue to whisk until stiff peaks form. Put a little blob of meringue under the edges of the baking parchment to secure it. Spoon some meringue onto each circle and spread it out to make a disc, flattening lightly with the back of the spoon. Put in the oven and turn it down to 120°C / fan 100°C / Gas ½. Bake for 45 minutes, until very lightly coloured. Reduce the oven temperature further, if they begin to get too brown. Switch the oven off and leave to cool for 2 hours, overnight if possible.
3. For the lemon curd, put the lemon zest and juice in a heatproof bowl. Add the butter and remaining caster sugar, stir well, and set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until totally dissolved, then beat in the whole eggs. Whisk until thickened and cooked through. Remove from heat and cool over a bowl of iced water, whisking occasionally until completely cold.
4. Whip the double cream in a large bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold in the lemon curd. Scoop out the seeds of 6 of the Passion fruit and fold lightly into the cream.
5. To assemble, place a meringue disc on a serving plate, then top with half the lemon curd cream. Place a second disc on top and spread over the rest of the cream. Place the last disc on top and press very lightly to settle. Scoop out the seeds from the remaining passion fruit and spoon over the top. Dust with a little icing sugar and cut into wedges to serve.