Cooking Time: 30 minutes
For the salad:
2x 250g thin Freedom Food beef steaks
Sea salt and freshly ground black Fairtrade pepper
Dash of Fairtrade olive or rapeseed oil
2 cooked beetroot, peeled and sliced for dressing
6-8 radishes, with edible leaves on
4 sprigs thyme
Dash of balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp horseradish, mixed into 1 tbsp. double cream
1 tbsp capers drained
For the beetroot dressing:
2 raw beetroot
2 cardamom pods, crushed
150 g Fairtrade caster sugar
300 ml water
Sprigs of tarragon and baby watercress
To make the beetroot dressing:
Place all the dressing ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over a high heat. Boil vigorously until the mixture reduces and thickens to the consistency of syrup. Season to taste. Remove the beetroot, set aside and store the dressing until ready to use.
For the salad:
Take the beef out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you start cooking. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and brush with a little oil. Put them in a very hot dry pan and cook quickly on both sides. Halve or slice the cooked beetroot. Drizzle a little beetroot dressing onto a plate, then add a few drops of balsamic vinegar. Top with the beetroot and slices of radish. Add a few capers and the horseradish cream and then top with the beef. Sprinkle with a few sprigs of tarragon and watercress.
Jean-Christophe's cooking tips...
* If your steak is a little too thick, use the ball of your hand to flatten the beef.
* It's very important to rest the beef before serving.
* If the beetroot isn’t sweet enough add a little honey.
* Make the beetroot dressing the day before.
* Use fresh horseradish grated with honey, ready-made mustard and cream to taste.
* Add cumin and fennel seeds when cooking the beetroot from raw.
* Replace the water when cooking the beetroot with fresh orange juice.