Time to prepare 40 minutes
Cooking time 12 to 15 minutes
Makes approx 12 large gingerbread men
350g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsp ground ginger
115g butter, diced
175g Tate & Lyle Light Brown Soft Sugar
4 level tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
1 medium egg, beaten
2 tbsp milk
Currants for eyes
Small chocolate beans for buttons, writing icing for mouths
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/170Cfan/gas 5. Sift together the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger. Add the butter and rub in until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the Tate & Lyle Fairtrade Light Brown Soft sugar.
2. In a small bowl beat together the Lyle’s Golden Syrup, egg and milk. Stir into the dry ingredients and mix to a dough, Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth.
3. Roll the mixture out on a lightly floured surface to about 5mm thick and using a gingerbread cutter cut out 12 gingerbread men and carefully transfer to baking trays lined with parchment paper.
4. Decorate the biscuits with currants for eyes and chocolate beans for buttons and bake for 12-15 minutes until golden. Allow to cool slightly and harden before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Decorate with writing icing for mouths. Store for up to 1 week in an airtight container.
See www.tasteandsmile.co.uk for more recipes