Valentine's Day Pulled Pork Pot Pies
Preparation time: around 30 minutes
Cooking time: around 2 hours
2 x 150g (5oz) pork shoulder steaks, trimmed
1 tbsp olive oil 2 shallots, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp tomato purée
200ml (7fl oz) hot chicken stock
200ml (7fl oz) cider
1 tbsp chopped thyme
A little plain flour
100g (31/2oz) puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C (fan 150°C), Gas mark 3. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the shallots, carrot and celery over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until starting to turn golden.
2. Add the pork to the pan, season well, and cook until golden on each side. Mix together the plain flour, tomato puree and 2 tbsp water and stir into the base of the pan. Pour in the hot stock, cider and thyme and stir together.
3. Cover the pan with a lid and bring to a simmer. Transfer to the oven and cook for around 11/2 hours until the pork is tender. Use two forks to shred the meat and mix together with the sauce.
4. Increase the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C), Gas Mark 7. Divide the mixture between two 300-350ml pie pots.
5. Dust a clean worksurface with a little plain flour and roll out the pastry until it measures about 3mm thick. Turn the pie pots over onto the pastry and cut around to create lids. Stamp out two heart shapes using a 3.5cm heart cutter.
6. Put the pastry on top of the pie pots and brush with beaten egg, then put the hearts on top and brush again with the egg. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until the pastry has puffed up and golden and the filling is hot right through.
Serve with …
Steamed green beans, peas and watercress, tossed in a little extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Recipe courtesy of LovePork