From indulgent toffee nut lattes to hot chocolates topped with whipped cream, the Christmas menus have just launched at coffee chains across the UK, and they are indulgent to say the least. As part of their 'Behind the Label' study, Wren Kitchens have taken a look at what's really in some of the nation's most popular festive drinks, and some contain up to 78 grams of sugar – the equivalent of 19.7 teaspoons of the sweet stuff.
Dr Dan Robertson, medical officer at Push Doctor, analysed the findings and made suggestions of how customers can make their drinks a little healthier, explaining: "The NHS recommends we consume no more than 30g of sugar a day. As we can see, most of the coffees in this data contain more than that - and that's on top of all the other sugars you'll consume in a day. Fortunately, there are lots of ways to make your coffee a bit healthier. You could try having more water and less milk, and saying no to extras like sprinkles. Don’t be tempted by the cakes and snacks, either!"
He added: "It also depends how regularly you drink these coffees. If it's every day, you do need to be careful. On the other hand, if you're just having them in moderation, such as once a week, this is less of a risk to your health. It is the festive season, after all." See how your favourite festive drinks fared below…
- Toffee Nut Latte (Venti) – 416 calories, 15.9g fat, 47.6g sugar
- Toffee Nut Coffee Frappuccino (Grande) – 480 calories, 16.5g fat, 68.1g sugar
- Gingerbread Latte (Venti) – 412 calories, 15.1g fat, 48.3g sugar
- Eggnog Latte (Venti) – 450 calories, 15.8g fat. 56.3g sugar
- Fudge Hot Chocolate (Venti) – 414 calories, 16.6g fat, 53.8g sugar
- Billionaire's Hot Chocolate (Massimo) – 660 calories, 20.7g fat, 78.9g sugar
- Billionaire Latte (Medio) – 341 calories, 13.2g fat, 41.5g sugar
- Black Forest Hot Chocolate (Massimo) – 528 calories, 16g fat, 60.3g sugar
- Gingerbread Latte (Massimo) – 268 calories, 15.1g fat, 18.4g sugar
- Honeycomb Latte (Massimo) – 392 calories, 17.1g fat, 44.8g sugar
- Mint Hot Chocolate – 556 calories, 15.5g fat, 68.8g sugar
- Lindt Hot Chocolate – 348 calories, 13.8g fat, 33.4g sugar
- Clementine Latte (Grande) – 204 calories, 5.2g fat, 28g sugar
- Gingerbread Latte (Grande) – 229 calories, 4.5g fat, 35.9g sugar
- Roasted Hazelnut Latte (Grande) – 235 calories, 4.6g fat, 37g sugar
- Salted Caramel Latte (Grande) – 238 calories, 4.6g fat, 37g sugar
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate – 466 calories, 22.5g fat, 51.6g sugar
See the latest health and fitness stories here.