Two months after Jason Orange announced he was leaving the band, Take That made their debut as a three-piece. Gary Barlow, Mark Owen and Howard Donald returned to the stage on the X Factor for a live performance of their new track These Days on Sunday – and were asked by host Dermot O'Leary about their new-found status as a trio.
"It's going fantastic," Howard said. "We're missing Jason though. We felt nervous about how people were going to react. But the fans have been amazing."
CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE
Take That made their debut as a three-piece on Sunday night's X Factor
The boys looked dapper for their appearance on the show in black and white suits, and received a standing ovation from the show's three judges following their performance.
It was a welcome return for Gary, who served as an X Factor judge himself in 2011, 2012 and 2013. "It's brilliant being back," he said, over loud cheers from the studio audience. "I've missed everybody, I really have."
Jason announced her decision to leave Take That after "some of the best years of my life" in September.
Jason Orange announced he was leaving the band in September
"At a band meeting last week I confirmed to Mark, Gary and Howard that I do not wish to commit to recording and promoting a new album," the singer said in a statement posted on the band’s website.
"There have been no fallings out, only a decision on my part that I no longer wish to do this."
He went on to say: "I know how much Mark, Gary and Howard enjoy writing and making music, and they know that they have my full support and encouragement to continue on with that is to be another chapter for the band.
"I have spent some of the best years of my life with Take That, and I'd like to thank everyone who has been part of my journey, including my band mates, who I feel are like brothers to me."