Julie Montagu, aka The Flexi Foodie, has shared her recipe for delicious cornbread stuffing - including how to make the cornbread itself. This vegetarian stuffing makes a great alternative to traditional meat stuffing!
For the cornbread:
2 teaspoons lemon juice
480ml almond milk
180 grams maize meal (called cornmeal in America) (you can get at Tesco, Sainsbury’s and Ocado online)
220g wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and lightly a 12" cast-iron skillet. In a small bowl, Whisk the apple cider vinegar and almond milk together in a small mixing bowl until the mixture has a bit of froth.
2. Combine the maizemeal, wholemeal flour, baking soda and powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add the oil to the Almond milk, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Mix until the batter is combined well. Pour the batter into the skillet and place in to the oven.
4. Bake the cornbread for 35 minutes, or until the top is firm and the edges are gently golden. Allow the bread to cool before cutting it into small cubes for the stuffing.
Ingredients to make the Cornbread Stuffing:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 leek, thinly sliced
3 teaspoons dried sage
¾ teaspoon salt
360ml cups vegetable stock
A large handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
Black pepper to taste
70g raw pecans
Method: Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a very large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and leek. Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the onion is tender and clear.
2. Stir in the cornbread, sage, salt, and 240ml of the vegetable stock. Warm the mixture and add in some black pepper and more salt if needed. Fold in the chopped parsley and the pecans.
3. Transfer the stuffing to 9x13 baking dish (make sure to oil it) Pour 120ml of the remaining stock over the top. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top of the stuffing is just golden. Serve with your cranberry sauce!