Top Irish Chef Paul Rankin has created a selection of delicious recipes exclusively for HELLO! ,which are perfect for celebrating St Patrick's weekend with family and friends. Discover all of the delicious recipes in HELLO!, out now.
BLUE CHEESE, PEAR AND PECAN NUT SALAD WITH BARMBRACK CROUTONS
"This is a pretty classic salad but the Barmbrack croutons take it to another level. You can substitute other blue cheese to finish the salad, but none has the exquisite creamy saltiness of Roquefort’
Preparation time 25 minutes
RECIPES: St Patrick's Day cocktails
• 1 small head frisee lettuce
• 1 small head radicchio
• 1 bunch of watercress
• 2 Little Gem lettuces
• 50g/2oz pecan nuts, toasted
• 125g/4 1/2oz Roquefort cheese, cut into cubes
For the barmbrack croutons
• 2 thin slices Rankin Selection Barmbrack
• 1 tbsp softened butter
• Icing sugar, to dust
For the vinaigrette
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
• 2-4 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 225ml/8fl oz light olive or sunflower oil
MORE: See more delicious recipes here
1. Trim, wash and dry all the salad leaves and mix them together.
2. To make the vinaigrette, mix the salt, pepper and mustard into the vinegar and, when the salt has dissolved, whisk in the oil, slowly at first to allow it to be incorporated. Set aside.
3. For the barmbrack croutons, preheat the grill to medium. Trim the crusts off the slices of barmbrack and cut each slice into 2 on the diagonal. Spread one side with the butter and dust with the icing sugar then toast until crisp.
4. Use enough of the vinaigrette to lightly dress the salad leaves and arrange on plates. Peel the pears and cut into quarters, then remove the cores and thinly slice. Arrange on the salad with the pecan nuts and Roquefort cheese. Serve straightaway.
All our dishes here feature chef Paul Rankin's 'Rankin Selection' award-winning traditional Irish bread range, made in collaboration with Northern Irish bakery Irwin's, which give the recipes an authentic taste of Ireland. The Rankin Selection range includes Brown Soda Bread (£1.20), Stoneground Wheaten (£1.30), Sliced Buttermilk Sodas (£1), Potato Slims (£1.20), Barmbrack (£1.80) and Fruit Loaf (£1.50) – and is available in major retailers across the UK including Tesco, Asda, Morrisons, Waitrose and Sainsbury's. For more information and recipes, visit rankinselection.com.
COORDINATED BY SARAH HAMILTON-WALKER