Jeremy Clarkson's Top Gear contract will not be renewed. Lord Hall, the Director General of the BBC, said he had "not taken this decision lightly" and recognised it would "divide opinion". But, he added: "a line had been crossed" and he "cannot condone what has happened on this occasion".
Lord Hall announced his decision on Wednesday afternoon after considering the findings of an internal investigation which concluded that Jeremy had verbally and physically assaulted a producer on the programme.
Jeremy Clarkson has been dropped as the host of Top Gear
Jeremy was suspended from Top Gear 16 days ago following a "fracas" with producer Oisin Tymon. The outburst apparently came after Jeremy – one of the BBC’s highest-paid stars – was told he could not have steak and chips after a day's filming because the North Yorkshire hotel where he was staying had stopped serving hot food.
My Tymon did not file a complaint, and it is understood that Jeremy reported himself to BBC bosses.
The BBC's director of TV, Danny Cohen, said he felt he had no choice but to suspend the presenter pending the internal investigation. That decision caused an outpouring of support for Jeremy from Top Gear fans, with more than a million people signing a petition to have him reinstated.
Jeremy with Top Gear co-presenters James May (centre) and Richard Hammond
The full statement from Lord Hall read: "It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.
"I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4 March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.
"I want to make three points.
"First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.
"Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.
"Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.
"The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series."