bakeoff1

Mary Berry breaks silence on Great British Bake Off shock move

hellomagazine.com

Mary Berry has spoken out following the announcement that the Great British Bake Off will be moving from the BBC to Channel 4. Speaking about the news, Mary, 81, told the Express: "I have no idea, anything that happens is nothing to do with my choice."

On Monday, it was revealed that the Love Productions, who produce the cooking contest, have signed a new three-year agreement with Channel 4 after failing to reach an agreement with the corporation.

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

bakeoffVIEW GALLERY

The BBC has lost its contract to broadcast The Great British Bake Off

In a statement the company confirmed: "After an extraordinary six-year journey with the BBC, Love Productions announces with regret that it has been unable to reach agreement on terms to renew the commission of The Great British Bake Off.

"We will now be focusing on finding a new partner to develop the familiar show that the British public turn to in their millions."

The news hasn’t gone down well with everyone. Lord Alan Sugar was among the celebrities who took to Twitter to share their disappointment, writing: "I feel sorry for the @BBCOne they invested years in making Bake Off popular and the greedy disloyal format owner has sold it to Ch4."

bakeoff3VIEW GALLERY

The production company behind the show has signed a three-year deal with Channel 4

He later added: "There's a fine balance in good business practice. Love production have made a fatal error taking GBBO away from @BBCOne for few extra quid."

Kirstie Allsopp wrote: "Bake Off shift shows a disgraceful lack of gratitude from the producers to the BBC who commissioned it in the first place, not a smart move…. At least I can reassure Mel, Sue, Mary & Paul that @Channel4 is a fabulous place to work, though still think #GBBO belongs at the beeb."

Sue Perkins, who co-hosts the show with Mel Giedroyc, has also hinted that she wants the show to stay put. She retweeted a statement from the BBC which describes GBBO as "quintessentially a BBC programme", and which concluded: "We hope Love Productions change their minds that Bake off can stay ad-free on BBC One."

bakeoff2VIEW GALLERY

The opening show of the current series was watched by 10.4million viewers

So far, Mel and Paul Hollywood are yet to publicly comment on the news, but earlier this year, Paul said he would prefer the show to remain where it is.

"I've said, I think the girls have said as well, we want to stay with the BBC," he told Chris Evans during an appearance on Top Gear. "As far as Mary, Mel, Sue and myself, we want to stay at the BBC."

More on: