bruno-tonioli

Bruno Tonioli did not storm off set of Strictly after Anastacia dance-off incident, BBC says

Gemma Strong

There was major drama on Strictly Come Dancing at the weekend when producers decided to forgo the head-to-head dance-off for the first time in the show's history. Now the BBC has spoken out to vehemently deny reports that judge Bruno Tonioli was so upset by the ruling he stormed out of the BBC studios.

On Sunday, it was revealed that Anastasia would be unable to compete against Melvin Odoom in the results show due to an injury, meaning that Melvin was automatically sent home, having received the lowest number of public votes.

CLICK TO VIEW GALLERY

Bruno Tonioli did not storm off Strictly set, BBC confirmVIEW GALLERY

The BBC have denied reports that Bruno Tonioli stormed off the Strictly set

According to the Daily Star, Bruno disagreed with the decision and felt that if a celebrity was unable to repeat their routine they should forfeit their place on the show.

"The studio audience had no idea about the backstage drama," an insider said, adding that Bruno allegedly stormed behind the scenes and demanded to be taken home, before producers were able to persuade him to return to the judging panel to finish filming the pre-recorded results episode.

Melvin Odoom first Strictly 2016 contestant to be sent homeVIEW GALLERY

Melvin Odoom was the first celeb to be sent home after Anastacia was unable to compete in the dance-off

However, a spokesperson for the BBC has denied the claims, telling the Express: "Bruno did not refuse to film the results show. Bruno did not get into his car early. Bruno did not hold up filming. Producers did not have to talk him round into coming back."

Meanwhile, it was confirmed on Wednesday that Anastacia will be taking to the dance floor at the weekend, after being given the green light from doctors.  The 48-year-old was unable to compete in last week’s dance-off after suffering a tear to a scar from her double mastectomy, but will perform with her partner Brendan Cole on Saturday.

Anastacia told by doctors she can continue to take part in StrictlyVIEW GALLERY

Doctors have given Anastacia the green light to take part in Saturday's show

A spokesperson said: "The doctor again confirmed that there was a tear in the scar tissue, which although painful is not permanent.  She was given the all-clear to dance this weekend with the caveat that the routine is carefully choreographed and she has been given the proper medication.

"Brendan was with her for her appointments and they have been filmed for this weekend's episode. The specialist will be monitoring her condition regularly and she will revisit them on Monday."

More on: