New research shows size 16 women are happiest with their appearance.
A survey revealed that nearly three quarters – 74 per cent – of size 16 women are comfortable in their own skin, compared to just 42 per cent of those who are a size six. The poll also found that recipients named celebrities including Nigella Lawson, Beyoncé, Kim Kardashian, Christina Hendricks and Adele as women they admire. Click on the photo below to see the full gallery.
The study, which involved 2000 women and was carried out by Littlewoods.com, found that 'body confidence', 'looking good' and 'feeling comfortable' are the top reasons women who are a size 16 are so content with their shape.
Nigella took top spot with 14 per cent, Beyonce came in second place with seven per cent and Kim Kardashian was third with six per cent.
Thirty five per cent of size six ladies admitted to being envious of those with curves, with many wishing for a fuller-figure because it's considered 'sexier' – 31 per cent think that clothes would be more flattering, and 24 per cent believe it would improve their body confidence.
Five tips on how to flatter your curves:
- Stick to close-to-the-body cuts. Sack or boxy shapes tend to add pounds – instead go for straight skirts and trousers and wrap dresses that skim the body.
- Keep it simple. The sleeker the better – avoid frills, ruffles, heavy pleats and embellishments, which can give the illusion of a bigger silhouette.
- Work your waist. A cinched-in middle is super flattering as it accentuates your womanly curves. Wear a belt or choose wrap dresses.
- Colour block. Solid hues in lights or darks are the most flattering shades, but there's no need to avoid brights altogether – just steer clear of big prints or patterns.
- Shapewear underwear is a must. Spanx smoothes out the body, leaving you with a clean silhouette. Perfect for party season!